I received complimentary products from Identity Games to facilitate my post. Thank you for supporting the brands that support my little family.
Last year my husband’s family all gathered out to New Jersey to celebrate Christmas together. That year we decided to do an adult Polyanna gift exchange but the gifts had to be family games. Usually buying for adults can be tricky but this one was so fun. We ended up buying a game that had the highest reviews on Amazon. It was fun and funny but incredibly inappropriate….yikes. While we were in the middle of the game my mother in law came to see why we were laughing and asked to play. Ahhh- we couldn’t do that to her! We told her it was for the best if she didn’t play. So so embarrassing.
So to save you from a mishap like mine (although we did end up keeping the game and throwing out the bad cards) I have compiled a list of fun family games for the holiday get togethers. In college we used to get to together with family and friends on the weekends and just play games. Yeah….we weren’t super into the party scene. These games are sure to steer you clear of any political drama…..no one wants that.
- Bang: this is a role playing card strategy game. You don’t know who everyone’s title is so you have to use logic and deductive reasoning to find out who the bad guys are and try to “kill” them. This is one of the best games. Brings me back to my college days with some great family friends!
- Mexican Dominoes: It’s dominoes but you build your own tracks and try to get rid of them before the other players.
- Pit: This is a fun (and loud) trading card game. You are trying to collect your own commodity before anyone else does a la stock exchange trading. I actually played this whilst holding my 2 month old son…and I guess the yelling soothed him to sleep.
- Pie Face: This is my kids’ favorite game. While it is directed towards kids, this game is a family favorite. I bet it is because of the whipped cream but it is also nerve wracking. Who knows who will get a dollop of whipped cream on their nose next?!
- Ticket to Ride: This is more of a strategy game so it does take a couple of hours to play. It can get competitive as building your train routes does require strategy and get you lots of points.
- Wits and Wagers: My accountant sister in law really likes this game.
- Catchphrase: This is a classic. Describing clues so others will guess the word all while the time is ticking is sure to fuel the adrenaline and get some laughs as words missed are revealed.
- Scategories: This is a thinking game that will drive you nuts when you can’t think of a word that starts with the letter chosen. While it is frustrating it is funny to hear what words people came up with.
- MadGab: This game is pretty funny. You read the phrase which is a popular phrase but written in other words that sound like it. You have to guess what they are saying and sometimes it is one of those “slap yourself in the forehead” type ordeals.
- Balderdash: This game is for creative thinkers- the crazier the better. You have to give definitions of a word and they can be true or not. Then people have to call your bluff.
- Taboo: This is similar to catchphrase but in this game you have a few words listed that you cannot say. And if you do, you get buzzed by an overly eager trigger happy family member.
- Apples to Apples : this game is family friendly. People select a card that they think is a good combination to the “description” word and the best (which is subjective to the person picking) answer wins that point. Sometimes the opposite words are the funniest therefore winning.
- Hotels: This game is by far the most expensive game we own and it is because they don’t make it anymore and haven’t for quite some time. My husband grew up playing this game and couldn’t stop talking about it so I had to find it on eBay. It is like Monopoly but better and doesn’t take quite as long. You have to build your empire of hotels and we really like the 3D structures to make us feel like mini moguls.
- BeanBoozled: A game of draw. I can’t play this game but it is hilarious to watch others gag as they get a bad jelly bean.
- Rummikub: A game of strategy that really brings out the competitive side of my husband and me…usually against each other. You use tiles to make runs and sets to try to get rid of your tiles first. There is a lot of moving around of tiles and trying to destroy your opponents.
- Mouthguard Challenge: This game is hilarious! Up to 5 people can play- although perhaps additional mouthguards can be purchased. The rules can be a little complicated but we just had the rules out the whole time. At first I thought this would be like MadGab but with mouthguards but it has different challenges as well like leaving a message for someone with the mouthguard on. This is just a funny and silly game and you only have to wear the mouthguard if it is your turn- thank goodness! We played this at my family reunion and we all loved it. My parents just laughed at us the whole time. Isn’t it funny to see others make fools of themselves? Also make sure to have paper towels handy….